BUT FIRST, PRAY - WEEK 4
BUT FIRST, PRAY - WEEK 4 – 29 SEPTEMBER 2019
REVISION – Get the podcast messages
1. Prayer changes us - Jesus after the John the Baptist news – exploring transcendence and immanence.
2. What do I say? - expanding on the Lord’s prayer.
3. Daniel – prayer includes listening. Be open to the Holy Spirit.
IDENTITY – IF YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE – PRAYER FLOWS NATURALLY
The outreach into King George Square rained out.
POINT – when prayer seems unanswered – God has something in mind other than what you thought.
In this life we are servants, humbled by the call to service, not petulant children offended by God’s indifference.
“God is too good to be unkind and He is too wise to be mistaken. And when we cannot trace His hand, we must trust His heart.” – Charles Spurgeon.
WHO ARE YOU?
Made in the image of God – Imago Dei – Gen 2:26
Genesis 1:26-28 (AMPC)
26 God said, Let Us [Father, Son, and Holy Spirit] make mankind in Our image, after Our likeness, and let them have complete authority over the fish of the sea, the birds of the air, the [tame] beasts, and over all of the earth, and over everything that creeps upon the earth.
27 So God created man in His own image, in the image and likeness of God He created him; male and female He created them.
28 And God blessed them and said to them, Be fruitful, multiply, and fill the earth, and subdue it [using all its vast resources in the service of God and man]; and have dominion over the fish of the sea, the birds of the air, and over every living creature that moves upon the earth.
Who are you? - Made in the image of God – Imago Dei – Gen 2:26
What does that mean?
It means that God created man, not as an earth dweller only but as a being like himself, to be His son or Daughter, to be His representative, to be with Him, a spiritual being to communicate with Him, to rule and reign with him, to change the world as He directs, to be a co-worker with Jesus Christ, to rise above the bleakness of banal life and shift the heavens for God’s Kingdom to come on earth. To To overcome, take dominion, subdue and conquer in the name of the most high God.
“God can handle your doubt, anger, fear, grief, confusion, and questions. You can bring everything to him in prayer.” Rick Warren
“No man is greater than his prayer life.” Leonard Ravenhill
...the power of prayer can never be overrated. They who cannot serve God by preaching need not regret. If a man can but pray he can do anything. He who knows how to overcome with God in prayer has Heaven and earth at his disposal. - Charles Spurgeon
I'd rather be able to pray than to be a great preacher; Jesus Christ never taught his disciples how to preach, but only how to pray. - Dwight L. Moody
It’s time to realise who you are in God - a man or woman of the spirit. A person created to change the world around you. You won’t focus on getting rich, living comfortably and pleasing men; but on seeing the true values of the kingdom that is now within you. Choosing to live as an influencer and someone who is loving others and bringing God’s answers into your sphere of influence, with eternity in mind at all times. PRAYER FLOWS NATURALLY.
At times you will feel confused, disappointed, frustrated, even angry, but your hope is in God, the only one who is ultimately in control, trusting that He is in all and above all, and working ALL things together for good to those who love Him and are called according to His purpose.
HERE IS WHAT I THINK ABOUT PRAYER IN THIS CHURCH
SOME PRACTICAL STRATEGIES.
1. The majority of members in this church practice prayer in their own personal lives and pray for others and are thankful to God. 77%
2. I am a person of prayer and I love prayer, but I am a lousy prayer leader and I have not inspired a prayer meeting culture in this church. (It is uncommon in most churches of recent times)
3. If you would like to meet together in corporate prayer – these are the present opportunities – Sunday 9.30am in the Training Room, every weekday 6-7 in the kids’ room. At set times through the year when we call for a prayer gathering.
4. The current lifestyle of believers in this era and in this city of Melbourne means that it is unlikely a corporate prayer meeting will ever have more than a handful of people attending. – so, we need to enable and empower prayer in other ways.
5. We need to enhance connection and sharing of prayer activity, prayer needs, answers to prayer and prayer teaching more – The most used platform to date is Facebook – so ACTION point – we will share prayer requests and needs more and share teaching articles about prayer on the church members Facebook page. Private prayer requests need to be sent to me and we have a closed group of intercessors who will pray for those.
6. The survey shows 44% would value more teaching on prayer so ACTION point – we will ensure that every year we do a series on prayer and in between we will insert short inspirational messages on prayer and provide resources in services and though Facebook and email.
7. Collecting and disseminating prayer answers is effective so ACTION point, we will share these more often in Facebook, Sunday services and emails.
8. Lets all make a good confession about prayer at all times that it is powerful, effective and we are a praying church.
CHURCH ACTION POINTS
1. More prayer in the services.
2. Deliver prayer requests and teaching and prayer answers through Facebook members group
3. Schedule three prayer meetings in each year and build momentum for these – one all night of prayer, one prayer and fasting season and one prayer meeting.
4. Remember to share answers to prayer, place a message into the Facebook members group, find the praise report cards and use them whenever you have a prayer answered.
INDIVIDUALS ACTION POINTS
1. Join Facebook Church members group - https://www.facebook.com/groups/infinitychurchmembers/
2. Share answers to prayer in Facebook members group and on Sunday with a praise report card.
3. Raise your prayer profile by 10% this year.